This idea I got from my brother – the idea is to keep any data analysis/bioinformatic projects I work on organized by sticking to a standard template. I wrote an Alfred Workflow for generating the template. There are a couple key features:
- Markdown (md) extension – is used for the readme because its simple and so that the directory is ready for github if desired.
- Data Folder – This directory is used for storing raw data and scripts that are used to clean and prepare data for analysis.
- analysis – This directory contains the scripts for producing statistics and visualizing data.
- report – any publications or presentations that come of the project can be stored in the report folder.
- run.sh is a two line script that will run prepare_data.sh and analysis.sh. This allows you to reproduce the entirety of your work all at once and verify your results. </ul>
What are your thoughts? How could this be improved?
Navigate to the directory where you would like to create the project template; open alfred and type
project [a name for your project]