Here it is! My favorite things in life across all domains. This is a work in progress, but hopefully you’ll find one (or a few) things you like and add it to your life. It’s a bit sparse currently, but it will fill in over time.
Note: There are no referral links here and I am not being paid to advertise anything here. Any companies/products listed have earned it.
- Homebrew - A phenomenal package manage. Use with homebrew/science!
- Autojump - Jump among directories by typing their
j and their name. Even works if you type it incorrectly! Install with
brew install autojump.
- pyenv - An easy way to manage multiple installations of python, and set which versions to open globally, locally, or by directory. Install with
brew install pyenv.
- Dropbox - The best backup/syncing solution. I pay for a subscription. I’ve used Box and Google Drive as well. Both are inferior.
- Transmit - FTP Client.
- Sublime Text - The best text editor. Extend its functionality with package control.
- Alfred - Like spotlight but with a lot more functionality. Workflows extend its functionality considerably. See the ones I’ve written!
- Sequal Pro - A MYSQL GUI. The best GUI for a database I’ve seen.
- Github - A great place to work on projects using git.
- Python - My favorite all-purpose programming language.
Below I list some of my favorite R packages.
- Jekyll - Static sites
- Flask - Python framework
- peewee - A very easy to use ORM for simple projects.
- Reeder - A great RSS reader.
- Strava - Fitness tracker. I’ve used Runkeeper in the past. It’s worth switching. If you want to switch fitness apps and not lose everything, check out tapiriik.
- Vanguard - Retirement accounts and investing.
- Pinboard - Simple bookmarks.
- tapiriik - Sync fitness data across fitness tracking services.
These are mostly a roundup of interesting ideas/facts/concepts I have come acorss.